Fantasy Fest is an annual event that takes place in the last week of October in Key West, Florida. Fantasy Fest is a fan festival that celebrates in October for 10 days filled with costuming, parades, libations, and excitement.
This festival was started in 1979 by a group of fans who wanted to bring more awareness to the Key West area as the premier vacation destination. Over the years the festival has evolved into an international event attended by people from all over the globe. The festival has also become extremely profitable for the organizers of the event as well as the local community as a whole.
Table of Contents
History of Fantasy Fest Festival
When the first Fantasy Fest was held in 1979 it was a small local festival that attracted a few thousand people. As the festival grew in popularity the attendance increased and new events were added in an effort to attract more visitors. By 1981 the festival had outgrown its venue and was relocated to Fort Zachary Taylor State Park to accommodate all of the attendees who were now arriving from all over the globe. This move proved to be a huge success and allowed the festival to grow even more over the years and now it happens in Key West Theater 512 Eaton Street Doors. Today the event attracts over 200,000 people from all over the world every year.
Schedule of Fantasy Fest 2022
The schedule of Fantasy Fest takes place over the course of ten days starting on Thursday and ending on Sunday. The official opening of the festival will take place on Thursday at midnight and the final day of the festival will take place on Sunday at 8 p.m.
These event starts on Thursday at 7 PM with Daily Diversion with a music party to fascinate people and ends on Sunday night at 8 pm with Dj Night.
2022 DAILY DIVERSIONS- Thursday
- BUM FARTO – The Musical
- FACES OF FANTASY FEST BY TOM FLIP
- FAIRVILLA THE BEST PLACE IN TOWN FOR SEXY, FUN COSTUMES & ACCESSORIES
- FANTASTIC BODY PAINTING AND STUNNING SUNSETS
- JIMMY BUFFETT’S – ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE
- KEY WEST BICENTENNIAL EXHIBIT – CELEBRATING 200 YEARS
- SUNSET HAPPY HOUR WITH CAPTAIN MORGAN COCKTAILS
OCTOBER 21, 2022 - FRIDAY
- BAHAMA VILLAGE GOOMBAY FESTIVAL
- ROYAL CORONATION
OCTOBER 22, 2022 - SATURDAY
- BAHAMA VILLAGE GOOMBAY FESTIVAL- A FAMILY-FRIENDLY EVENT
- THE SEVENTH ANNUAL SMALLEST PARADE IN THE UNIVERSE
OCTOBER 23, 2022 - SUNDAY
- ZOMBIE BIKE RIDE – A FAMILY FRIENDLY EVENT
- ZOMBIEFEST OFFICIAL AFTER PARTY
OCTOBER 24, 2022- MONDAY
- THE PERRY HOTEL & MARINA’S DUCK, DUCK, BOOZE POOL PARTY
- A GREEN PARROT BEATLES TRIBUTE
- HEROES AND VILLAINS RUN/WALK 5KM
- MARTINI MONDAY AT VIRGILIO’S
- KINKY CARNIVAL
- SLOPPY JOE’S COMIC BOOK CAPE-ERS
- TOPS OR BOTTOMS UNDERWEAR PARTY
OCTOBER 25, 2022 - TUESDAY
- DANTE’S 4TH OF JULY PARTY!
- SOUTHERNMOST SCAVENGER HUNT’S 3rd ANNUAL FANTASY FEST BAR CRAWL
- COCKTAILS FOR ANIMAL TAILS!
- SHE-AVENGERS STRIPFINITY WARS: A BURLESQUE PARODY
- TUTU TUESDAY RETURNS!
- CAPT. TONY’S PARTY IN PLAID
- GREEN PARROT “Who Dat” PARTY WITH PAPA GROWS FUNK!
OCTOBER 26, 2022- WEDNESDAY
- LIVING ON THE EDGE POOL PARTY AT OCEANS EDGE RESORT AND MARINA!
- HUMPDAY POOL PARTY @ ISLAND HOUSE FOR MEN
- PET MASQUERADE
- SHE-AVENGERS STRIPFINITY WARS: A BURLESQUE PARODY
- SMOKIN TUNA HOMEMADE BIKINI CONTEST
- THAT ARENA ROCK SHOW
- WHARFSTOCK AT THE SCHOONER WHARF BAR
- 10TH ANNUAL LUV2GLOW PARTY
- SLOPPY JOE’S SLUMBER PARTY
- DESIRE MALE FETISH PARTY
Rules and Regulation of Fantasy Fest
Here are a few guidelines. The Key West Police Department has summarised the code of conduct you must follow below.
Please read the following Festival rules and regulations:
- Nudity is illegal and is never permitted on public property or in plain view.
- Offensive sexual behavior on public property or in plain view is strictly prohibited and will not be allowed.
- Body painting is permitted, but it must be done in enclosed or screened-in areas, completely hidden from public view. Female breasts that have been painted are permitted, but ONLY IN THE DESIGNATED “FANTASY ZONE.”
- To avoid ILLEGAL exposure on public property and all city streets outside of the FANTASY ZONE, please wear a cover-up.
- Glass containers are not permitted within the designated FANTASY ZONE. Paper or plastic cups provided by bars and vendors, as well as the Souvenir Fantasy Fest To-Go Cup, are acceptable.
- Outside of the FANTASY ZONE, open containers of alcohol are not permitted. If you are carrying open alcoholic beverages, please stay inside the party area.
- Fantasy Fest is dedicated to making our city more environmentally friendly, but we need your help. Use the recycling bins conveniently located along the FANTASY ZONE’s perimeter to help preserve our environment. Every cross street in the FANTASY ZONE has a recycling bin. Please make use of them.
- There will be no backpacks, coolers, packages, water guns, weapons, or replica weapons allowed by law.
Nearby Hotels to Stay
If you’re planning a trip to join Fantasy Fest Festival and are looking for hotels near the Festival, we have a few options for you. In addition to the hotels located on Duval Street, a few other options are available. Here are a few of the hotels that we have available in Key West for the Fantasy Fest.
1. Casa Marina Resort - 1500 Reynolds St Key West, FL
There are 136 guestrooms at the Casa Marina resort which is located in the center of Key West. Each guest room has a private balcony or patio where guests can enjoy the view of the ocean. The onsite restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and serves a variety of entrees, sandwiches, salads, and more.
Several additional dining options within walking distance from the hotel include Conch Republic Seafood Bar & Restaurant and Sloppy Joe’s Restaurant. The hotel is also just a short walk from the popular nightly sunset celebration at Mallory Square Beach and offers a complimentary shuttle service to the dock to tour the local islands.
2. Curio Collection by Hilton - 1435 Simonton St. Key West, FL
The Curio Collection is a collection of independent boutique hotels and resorts that are unique and typically operated under a unique brand. This hotel has an on-site restaurant and bar that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well as drinks at the bar. The hotel also offers room service 24-hour fitness center, a business center, free valet parking, and a pool area that is heated during the winter months.
Guest rooms include flat-screen TVs, coffeemakers, mini-fridges, microwaves, and balconies with ocean or city views. The hotel is located just steps away from the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum and several popular bars and restaurants.
3. Island House for Men - 1129 Fleming St. Key West, FL
Island House for Men is a gay men’s hotel located in the heart of Key West. Each room is furnished with a king-sized bed, private full bathroom, flat screen TV, iPod docking station, and iron/ironing board. There is a communal hot tub available on the property and a 24-hour front desk with staff who can help guests with any needs they may have during their stay. The hotel is also close to several restaurants and nightlife venues and within walking distance of the beach and the Truman Little White House.
4. Key West Vacation Homes - 201 Front Street, Suite 310, Key West, FL
A Key West vacation rental is a great option for visitors who want complete privacy, space to relax, and access to their own kitchen to prepare meals and snacks at their own pace. Many of the homes have a pool and are located near the beach. Some homes are within walking distance of Duval Street and other popular attractions while others are just a short drive away. Each home is fully stocked with everything you need to make your stay comfortable and convenient.
5. New Orleans House - 724 Duval St. Key West, FL
New Orleans House offers affordable accommodations in historic downtown Key West. Each room comes equipped with a private bathroom, cable TV, free WiFi, and a coffee maker. Guests also have access to a communal kitchen where they can prepare meals. An outdoor pool is also available for guests to enjoy.
This hotel is located in the heart of Key West and offers easy access to a variety of restaurants, bars, and attractions. It is within walking distance of Mallory Square and not far from Sunset Pier. Guest rooms feature private patios or balconies overlooking the ocean or the city, comfortable beds, private baths, and free Wi-Fi access. There is also a large pool available on the property and daily housekeeping services are provided free of charge. Guests can also enjoy complimentary breakfast each morning in the dining area, which is served by the hotel staff.
Best Restaurant to Eat
If you are visiting Key West and want to enjoy a great meal, then you should check out some of the local restaurants. Here are five of the best options:
1. Four Marlins - 1435 Simonton Street
Four Marlins has a great selection of food, including steak and seafood dishes. They also have a great selection of wines from around the world. The restaurant is located atop Mallory Square, so you can eat your meal while taking in the beautiful views of the harbor and the ocean. Staff is friendly and helpful and will make excellent recommendations if you need guidance. The menu at Four Marlins changes frequently, so you can expect to discover new and exciting flavors every time you visit.
2. Wine-O Bar & Lounge - 430 Duval Street
The Wine-O is an intimate bar that provides great music and a great atmosphere for a night out. They have an extensive wine list and a variety of delicious cocktails to choose from. They also have a full menu of food items if you want a full meal or just a few drinks with dinner. This restaurant are known for their cheese plates that are served with a selection of crackers. Be sure to try the Jalapeno Poppers- they are incredible. The bartenders are friendly and attentive and know how to make some of the best drinks in town. If you are looking for a fun night out in Key West or attending a Fantasy Fest festival, then the Wine-O is where you want to be.
3. Sun Sun Beach Bar & Grill - 1500 Reynolds Street
The Sun Sun Beach Bar and Grill is the perfect place to go for a casual lunch or dinner when you are on your holiday in Key West. They have a large menu that features a wide variety of Asian and Western cuisines. They also have a good selection of appetizers, soups, salads, sandwiches, and entrees. Their chefs prepare all of their meals fresh to order and offer several gluten-free options for people who are sensitive to gluten. Their outdoor deck features beautiful views of the ocean and is a great place to enjoy a drink while overlooking the water. The Sun Sun Beach Bar and Grill is a fun, laid-back restaurant that is a great choice for any budget.
4. Island Dog Bar -505 Front Street
Island Dog offers an extensive menu that has something for everyone. Whether you are in the mood for hot dogs or sandwiches, they have got you covered. They also have great hamburgers and salads if that is more your style. They offer a daily happy hour where you can get great deals on drinks and appetizers. The bartenders are friendly and knowledgeable and can suggest some great drink specials to fit your budget. Island Dog is located right in downtown Key West and is the perfect stop to enjoy a cold beer or bite to eat after a long day of exploring the island.
5. Rock House Live - 135 Duval Street
In addition to having regular live music and karaoke night, Rock House Live also offers a variety of delicious foods. They have a wide variety of sandwiches and burgers on the menu as well as daily specials. They also offer a great breakfast menu that includes eggs Benedict and country potatoes, among other things. If you are looking for a relaxing place to enjoy some food and good music in Key West, then Rock House Live is the place to go.
The Fantasy Fest Festival is a ten-day event that takes place in Key West, Florida. This festival features art, food, music, and more. Fantasy Fest is a great way to get out and enjoy some fun while also indulging in your favorite fantasies. This festival is one-of-a-kind and definitely worth the visit.
Also Read: Life Is Beautiful Festival