Lexapro (Escitalopram) is a type of medicine that helps people who feel really sad or worried a lot, which means depression. It’s called an antidepressant and it helps balance a chemical in the brain called serotonin. This can help people feel better and less anxious.
Lexapro is a medicine that helps people who are feeling sad or worried all the time, which generally means it is used to treat depression. It does this by fixing the balance of a natural substance called serotonin in the brain. Also, It is a group of medicines called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. It can help you feel less tired and have more energy, feel better, and be less nervous.
Table of Contents
How To Use Lexapro
When you get a medicine called Lexapro or Escitalopram, you should read the information that comes with it and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions. Take the medicine by mouth as directed or pharmacist by your doctor, usually once a day in the morning or evening, with or without food. The amount you take depends on your condition, how you respond to the medicine, will dependant your age, and other medications you might take. If you are using the liquid form of this medicine, you should use a special measuring spoon to measure the right amount.
To avoid getting side effects, your doctor may tell you to start with a small amount and gradually increase it with time. Do not take more than your doctor tells you to or take it more often or for longer than you are supposed to because it may cause side effects. You need to keep taking the medicine even if you feel that your condition is getting better. Do not stop taking the medicine without talking to your doctor or pharmacist because you could get worse or feel strange. It can take up to 4 weeks to feel the full benefit of the medicine on your body. If you have any new or worsening symptoms, you should tell your doctor right away.
Side Effects Of Lexapro
- It’s important to know that even though Lexapro can help you feel better. It may cause some side effects on your body. You may feel sick to your stomach, have a dry mouth, have trouble sleeping, or feel tired or dizzy after medication. If you have any of these problems. Or they get worse, you should tell your doctor right away.
- It’s also possible to have some more serious side effects when taking the medicine such as not wanting to have sex, changes in how you have sex, or bruising or bleeding easily. If you have any of these problems, it is important you should let your doctor know right away. There’s also a rare chance that this medicine could cause some other serious problems. So you should tell your doctor or pharmacist right away if you have any of the following symptoms. Like, really fast heartbeat, hallucinations, difficulty coordinating your movements, feeling really dizzy, throwing up or having diarrhea a lot, your muscles twitching, having a fever you can’t explain, or feeling really restless or agitated, etc.
- If you’re a boy, it’s also possible to have a painful erection that lasts for a long time and it may get worse. If this happens, you should stop using the medicine. And get medical help right away, or you could have permanent problems in the future. It’s also possible to have an allergic reaction to the medicine in your body, which is very rare. If you notice any of these types of symptoms – like a rash, swelling, dizziness, or trouble breathing – get medical help right away.
- Remember, this isn’t a complete list of all the possible side effects of Lexapro may do on your body. So talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.
Precautions To Keep In Mind
- Before taking escitalopram, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it. Or if you have any other allergies in your body. This product may contain inactive ingredients. That can cause allergic reactions or other serious problems in your body.
- You should Tell your doctor or pharmacist about your medical history. Especially if you or anyone in your family has a history of bipolar disorder, seizures, intestinal ulcers, bleeding problems, low sodium in the blood, suicide attempts, liver disease, or glaucoma.
- Lexapro can affect your heart rhythm in your body, which may cause serious symptoms that require immediate medical attention. Let your doctor or pharmacist know about all the drugs you are taking. And any medical conditions you have before using escitalopram on your own.
- lexapro may cause dizziness or drowsiness, and it can dangerous to drive or operate machinery or vehicle while taking this medication. You should Avoid alcohol and marijuana use while taking escitalopram.
- If you have diabetes, phenylketonuria, or any other medical condition that requires you to limit/avoid sugar. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using the liquid form of this medication.
- Let your doctor or dentist know about all the products and medications you use before having surgery.
- Older adults and children may more sensitive to the side effects of this medication (Escitalopram). Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should consult with their doctor or pharmacist before using escitalopram. Do not stop using this medication without consulting your doctor or your condition get worse.
Warnings Related To Escitalopram
- If you also take pimozide or citalopram (Celexa), using Lexapro is not recommended by experts.
- You should not use Lexapro (Escitalopram) within 14 days before or 14 days after using an MAO inhibitor, such as isocarboxazid, linezolid, phenelzine, rasagiline, methylene blue injection, selegiline, or tranylcypromine.
- When you first take an antidepressant medication, some young people may have thoughts about suicide. You should stay alert to changes in your mood or symptoms and report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor.
- If you experience symptoms of serotonin syndrome, such as agitation, fast heart rate, muscle stiffness, twitching, hallucinations, fever, sweating, shivering, loss of coordination, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, you should seek medical attention right away.
Keep Your Doctor Informed About Medicines
When you take medicine, it’s important to know that some medicines can affect how your other medicines work or cause bad side effects on your body. It’s important to keep a list of all the medicines you use on your body. And shows it to your doctor or pharmacist. So they can help you stay safe. Some things, like aspirin or other drugs can cause bleeding or serious side effect. It is dangerous when taken with certain medicines.
Some drugs you may take can also interact badly with drugs used to treat depression. It’s important to let your doctor know if you’re taking anything else. That can make you feel sleepy if you’re taking any over-the-counter medicine, like allergy or cold therapy. Some medicines can also affect your heart. And some tests can affect by the medicine you’re taking. So it’s important to let your doctor know everything you’re taking for safety.
How should I take Lexapro
When you take Lexapro, you should make sure to follow the instructions that your doctor gave you. Try to Take it at the same time each day, with or without food. If you are taking the liquid form of the medication. Be sure to measure it carefully with a measuring spoon. It may take up to four weeks before you start to feel better. And your condition may improve. Your doctor will check on you regularly to see how you are doing. And you should make sure that you are growing normally if you are a child.
If you notice any changes in your sexual function. Such as not interested in sex or have trouble with orgasms, talk to your doctor immediately. Some sexual problems can treat on time. Otherwise, they may become permanent.
When you are ready to stop taking Lexapro, you should make sure to do it slowly and follow your doctor’s instructions. It would help if you didn’t stop all at once. Or you might have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Keep Lexapro at room temperature and away from moisture and heat and children.
Dosing Information Of Lexapro
For adults with generalized anxiety disorder, the usual dose is 10mg of the medication taken orally once a day. Which one can increase to 20 mg after at least one week of treatment? The usual maintenance dose is 10-20 mg taken orally once daily. With the maximum amount as 20 mg taken orally once daily. Treatment effectiveness should assess it regularly. Treatment beyond 8 weeks has not studied systematically.
For adults with depression, the initial dose is also 10 mg taken orally once a day. With the option to increase to 20 mg after at least one week of treatment. The usual maintenance dose and maximum dose are the same as for generalized anxiety disorder. The treatment may be necessary for several months or longer. And patients should be regularly reassessed to determine the need for continued treatment.
For geriatric patients with depression, the recommended dose is 10 mg taken orally once a day.
For pediatric patients aged 12 and older with depression, the initial dose is 10 mg taken orally once a day. Which can be increased to 20 mg after at least three weeks of treatment. The usual maintenance dose and maximum dose are the same as for adults with depression.
Lexapro is an antidepressant medication used to treat certain types of depression and anxiety. It belongs to a group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). And it works by balancing levels of serotonin in the brain and nerves.
The recommended dosage for Lexapro varies depending on the condition treated before and the patient’s age. And it should take exactly as prescribed by a doctor. Lexapro can cause side effects, such as nausea, dry mouth, and dizziness. And should not use by some individuals, including those taking certain medications and pregnant or breastfeeding women. Patients should inform their doctor of all medications and supplements they are taking before starting Lexapro.
What happens if I forget to take a dose of Lexapro?
If you miss a dose of your medicine (Escitalopram), take it as soon as possible. However, if it’s almost time for your next scheduled dose, you should skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at the same time or it may cause side effects.
How does an overdose of Lexapro affect me?
In case of an overdose of Lexapro (Escitalopram) seek medical attention immediately.
What is the duration for Lexapro to take effect?
After taking Lexapro, it may take several weeks to start working, even though it takes only a few hours to increase serotonin levels within the brain, but it shows improvement after several weeks. Signs that Lexapro has started working include an improvement in sleep, energy, or appetite. In some people, this may happen within 1 to 2 weeks. However, relief from symptoms such as a depressed mood or lack of interest in activities you used to enjoy may take up to 6 to 8 weeks to fully improve.
What is the duration of Lexapro treatment?
It is possible that your doctor may prescribe Lexapro for a set period of 6 months to a year if this is your first episode of depression. However, For those with persistent depression, it may be necessary to take it for many years. There are no known problems with taking Lexapro long-term.
Why is Lexapro prescribed?
Lexapro is a type of medicine used to treat depression in grown-ups and in children and teenagers who are 12 years old or older. It is also used to treat something called generalized anxiety disorder, which is when people feel worried or tense all the time and it makes it hard to do things in their everyday life. Lexapro helps by increasing the amount of a natural substance called serotonin in the brain which can help to make people feel better.
How should I modify my diet while taking Lexapro medication?
Continue your normal diet only change when your doctor tells you.
How should I store and get rid of this Lexapro medicine properly?
This medicine needs to be kept in the container it came in, in a cool, dry place and away from heat and moisture. Make sure to keep Escitalopram out of the reach of children. If you have extra medicine that you don’t need, don’t throw it in the toilet or garbage, because it could be dangerous for others. Instead, talk to a pharmacist or your local garbage/recycling department about special programs where you can return unused medicine safely. It’s important to always keep medicine out of sight and reach of children, in a safe and secure place with a lock.
Can taking Lexapro during pregnancy cause any specific concerns?
If you want to have a baby or think you might be pregnant, it is important to tell your doctor so they can help you with your medications. If you have depression and want to have a baby, it’s important to talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of taking medicine.
When pregnant women take antidepressants during the last 6 months of pregnancy, the baby may be born before it is fully developed (before 37 weeks). Less than 1% of babies born to mothers who took SSRI medication during pregnancy develop a serious problem with their lungs. Although, mothers who stopped taking antidepressants were more likely to get depressed again than those who kept taking them. It’s important to talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of taking antidepressants while you are breastfeeding.
Can taking Escitalopram (Lexapro) for extended periods cause any harm or risks?
Currently, there are no identified adverse effects linked to the prolonged usage of escitalopram (Lexapro). As long as the medication is taken according to the prescribed instructions, it is regarded as a reliable and safe treatment option.
Is escitalopram effective in treating panic disorder?
Escitalopram (also known as Lexapro) is an effective medicine that is approved by the FDA to treat depression and generalized anxiety disorder. Although it is not FDA-approved for panic disorder, some experts and bloggers suggest it may help. Some studies have shown that it might work to treat panic disorder, but more research and study are needed to make sure it is safe and effective for that use. If you want to know more about how escitalopram (Lexapro) can help with panic disorder, you can ask your healthcare provider.