How our eating habits will change as digital health tools will disrupt? Not just healthcare but the future foods industry as well so let’s take a deeper look. food entails the creativity of humankind. We have the richest variety of ingredients forms shapes tastes and as an absolutely essential element of survival. We go from innovative ways of hunting more efficiently to solving mass production.
But with all that, we now have vastly different eating habits. Fast food restaurants versus healthy lifestyle, conscious cooking versus random eating patterns, obesity and the developers versus hunger or famine in developing countries, and mass production versus local farming.
In the new century, there are no unfittingly clear trends when it comes to food production and consumption.
We all make many decisions every day regarding eating but we have no real knowledge about the food on our plate we are all left alone with that we can send rockets to space and we can cure many types of cancer.
Concerns About Our Eating Habits
But even in 2022 we still don’t know what we should eat and when and how we should eat it. But with the advent of new digital health tools, our eating habits will change once again helping to solve some of the most pressing issues we have today.
The main problem that we can recognize today is that we have no idea what we buy at the supermarket or what gets on our plate in the canteen. Although ingredients are listed on most of the products we buy most of us have absolutely no idea where the food comes from and what substances it contains.
This is more concerning given our increased reliance on pre-packaged food over fresh ones.
Globally about 250 million people have food allergies while about 35 percent of adults are overweight by 2035 around half a billion people will have diabetes half of them will be undiagnosed knowing calorie intake and ingredients are essential in preventing and managing medical issues like these.
For example, scio is an Israeli startup founded by people with optical engineering backgrounds working on a device like a that scanner can illuminate food while optical sensors detect the reflected light and the device analyzes it using a cloud-based database.
The company promised that in milliseconds the ingredients and molecular makeup of the foodstuff will appear on the user’s smartphone. Unfortunately, it hasn’t come to fruition yet and they were heavily criticized for overstating their capabilities. But since there is a ripe niche market for a working Future foods scanner expect others to appear in the foreseeable future foods.
Genetic Makeup Affects Our Future Foods
Since our genetic makeup varies from individual to individual it inadvertently affects how we react to the food we consume. Now, what if we could analyze that genetic makeup and determine exactly what diet would my body respond best to not just in terms of fitness?
But in terms of staying healthy, that’s what nutrigenomics promises it looks at your genetic makeup and explores how it affects the way your body uniquely processes food it was the increased accessibility to DNA sequencing services that opened the door for this new field and I fully expect it to be the next big dietary trend.
Many startups are shifting their reliance on blind luck to science after a genetic analysis they lay out personalized diets and even workout plans to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
And how do these startups work these startups look into your DNA your blood work and your metabolic function to unlock the nutrition insights that live inside of you and so we take all of that we give you a report which tells you all the findings we had but then we also craft a personalized nutrition plan for you.
Besides sequencing your DNA it is possible to sequence the DNA of the bacteria in your guts that’s called the microbiome. This collection of bacteria isn’t just responsible for digesting food but it actually plays an enormous part in the state of our immune system it makes sense to listen to it.
Now even if we know precisely what’s on our plate how can we tell what we should or shouldn’t eat just think about the contradicting trends we see today like veganism versus the carnivore diet.
Modern Technology Affecting Future Foods And Eating Habits
Many companies offer direct-to-consumer kits that analyze one’s microbiome and offer personalized diet plans based on individual results they also offer weekly recommendations on what to eat now add scanners for Future foods to the table and you will see a picture emerging of the future where you will have a genetics-based diet and an app will tell you what products not to buy at the grocery store or what type of food will make you more productive, sleep better or just feel generally more healthy.
So knowing what our body needs and being able to recognize those foods. That is a great match for us on the individual level.
Technology and innovation might not be enough in themselves to solve every problem with food consumption. But there isn’t a lack of trying.
A happy fork is a smart fork that vibrates your feet too fast alerting you to slow your pace and then you eat and you chew and then if you take another bite within 10 seconds do you feel like you’re eating really fast or vibrated because I’m eating too fast I should slow down and not eat so fast if you wait 10 seconds then the happy fork is happy.
Happy fork’s focus on slow eating is based on a few studies that showed a correlation between the speed of eating and diabetes obesity. But with slow eating you can also avoid digestion problems and reflux which can lead to better weight control, in the long run, it has been proven that if you eat faster you will eat more and through the happy force companion app, you can further analyze your eating habits and track your improvements.
Also Read:- Everything you know about Johnny Depp
Present Food Industry And Future Foods Industry
Now to take a step back from the individual level. Let’s address the schizophrenic nature of our global food consumption half of the world is obese. While the other half is fighting hunger more than 800 million. People don’t have adequate nutrition and that’s around 1 in 9 people globally.
Global meat consumption has nearly doubled in the past 50 years and showing no signs of slowing down.
we must find alternatives luckily demand meatless options is also on the rise and development in this field can help address the issue of food shortages.
companies producing plant-based burgers and have even been adopted and popularized by fast food companies like burger king others are taking a different approach.
and from a few cells companies with modern technology can create tens of tons of lab-cultured meat it’s not just the solution for high demands but to the effects, our meat consumption has on the climate.
Simply put the future is cultured not slaughtered and as we move from mass to efficient production our food consumption will be a lot more sustainable as well as innovative.
Researches on Future Foods And Eating Habits
Researchers have drawn up a rundown of little plants that could be on the menu by 2050. Later on, you could be eating breakfast on the bogus bananas or nibbling on pandanus tree natural products.
The Ukraine war has featured the risks of depending on a couple of internationally exchanged crops. With 90% of Calories coming from only 15 harvests, specialists at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Kew. London is chasing after fixings to future-confirmation our eating regimens.
Environmental change is increasing the risk of major food shocks. In which yields fall flat and staple prices increase rapidly all around the world. In excess of 7,000 eatable plants around the world, just 417 are broadly developing and utilized for food.
- The pandanus ( Pandanus tectorius ) is a little tree. That fills in beachfront regions from the pacific islands to the Philippines.
- The leaves have utilized to enhance sweet and appetizing dishes across quite a bit of Southeast Asia. While the pineapple-like natural product can eaten crudely or cooked.
- The tree can endure testing conditions including dry, major areas of strength for spell and salt shower.
- An environment with strong and nutritious food is likewise delightful. It would be perfect to differentiate our food portfolio to incorporate. Food that is socially suitable, and nutritious. And can fill in testing conditions from one side of the planet to the other.
- Bean, or vegetables, are another “Future food representing things to come”. They are modest, and high in proteins and B-nutrients. And adjusted to a great many conditions from sea shores to mountain slants.
- There are 20,000 types of vegetables on the planet, however, we utilize just a modest bunch. It has thought there are hundreds in the wild as vets obscure to researchers.
- The morama bean (Tylosema esculentum) is a staple in Botswana, Namibia, and South Africa. Where it has mixed with maize or processed into a powder to produce porridge or a cocoa-like beverage.
- Not all vegetables are palatable. Yet specialists are investigating the properties of various species to see which one could give food and supplements.
- Cereals, come from grasses. Additionally have enormous variety, with in excess of 10,000 species-offering heaps of potential for new Future food sources.
- Fonio ( Digitaria exilis ) is a nutritious African oat use to make couscous, porridge, and beverages as a yield. The plant can endure dry circumstances.
- Enset or “bogus banana” is a direct relation to the banana, however, is consume exclusively in one piece of Ethiopia.
- The banana-like product of the plant is unpalatable. Yet the bland stems and roots can mature and used to make porridge and bread.
- Studies propose the banana-like harvest can possibly take care of in excess of 100 million individuals in a warming world.
Also Read:- Lifestyle Medicine: Real Future of Health